Hideout: Bibliodiscoteque #23
I’ve been dreading making this podcast for a good while now.
Magic Realist author Haruki Murakami is a difficult man to pin down (even in translation it is clear to see the deftness of language and his precision with a pen). There are various motifs that exist in each book, and repeated imagery he relies on, but the feeling of his work is what I attempted to get across in this episode. Murakamis’ novels are about the subtle and the fragile – not necessarily the stuff of garage rock. Therefore, I knew that I wanted to experiment with ‘60’s psychedelic music and flirt with some larger bands, the Beatles for instance, but I never quite garnered the courage until recently.
Knowing next to nothing of the psychedelic, I began my research through an old friend’s facebook page – she happens to be Bethlehem, PA’s, reigning garage rock/psych queen and music guru. Of course, after listening to the various tracks, hunting them down, and purchasing them (I’m not a pirate at heart), I became caught in a loop of nostalgia for our friend Digger. I figured that, missing Digger, and making a playlist that (I hoped) he would have loved, put me in the right frame of mind for Murakami. If not simply because Murakami’s work seems to be about capturing the past and reclaiming those moments we casually let slip by.
I’d like to thank Rosemary P. whose help, though she didn’t know it, was instrumental in putting this together. Thanks Rose.
Rage Well, === Episode 23 – Haruki Murakami
- Astral Plane – Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers
- Teachers – Leonard Cohen
- It’s Shocking What They Call Us – The Game
- You Don’t Love Me – Quicksilver Messenger Service
- Dear Prudence – Siouxsie And The Banshees
- Ticket To Ride -Les Merseys
- Try A Little Sunshine – Factory
- Take A Giant Step – The Monkees
- Can’t Find My Mind – The Cramps
- Garden Of My Mind – The Mickey Finn
- Lost Woman – The Yardbirds
- I Asked For Water – Howlin’ Wolf
- I Don’t Like The Man I Am – Pete Molinari
- Place To Be – Nick Drake
- No Good Without You Baby – The Birds
- Mr. Spaceman – The Byrds
- Stay With Me Baby – Terry Reid
- Love Love Love – Pugh
- Happy Is The Man – The Easybeats
- You Don’t Know – The 13th Floor Elevators
- The World Would Understand – The British North-American Act
88,4 MHz - Pi Radio