Hideout: Bibliodiscoteque #12
Harlan Ellison Part 2
“Repent Harlequin!” Said the Ticktockman, is one of the most widely printed short stories in the world.
If it isn’t, and, if the census takers of literature are wrong – if somehow the person recording these printings added an extra zero to the end or an extra one to the front – if this is the case, well, then the world owes that person a pat on the back and a bag of jellybeans.
In this short story, Ellison shows that revolution need not be violent and involve tanks, firebombs, and rocks, but revolution can involve thought, whimsy, and a desire to mess with the smallest parts of the system. The serious entities that rule us and make our decisions require submission and obedience; and those are two things which humanity has never really been good at. Ellison shows us that a smile and bag of candy beans can be more revolutionary than a Molotov. Ellison shows us that saying “No” is the first step. The second is meaning it.
This future dystopia is frightening and true. We are all fighting battles against the grey behemoths’ of government and society, yet most free thinkers, and those who ask life’s vital question, “WHY?”, are the front line. Those who smile in the face of the lifeless and bland and toss color at it are the ones who, when the future arrives, will be remembered as warriors and heroes.
That is what “Repent Harlequin!” Said the Ticktockman, taught me.
Now smile pretty, wave at the cameras, and rage well my friends, === Setlist Episode 12 – Harlan Ellison Part II
- The Needle And The Damage Done – Neil Young
- Leave That Junk Alone – Western Aces
- I Don’t Like The Man I Am – Thee Headcoats
- Drama Queens – Dan Sartain
- Faraway Spaceman Blues – Fabienne Delsol
- Loney Weekends – Charlie Rich
- We all got somebody that we want to kill – Hipbone Slim & The Knee-Tremblers
- Murder in My Mind – Holly Golightly & the Brokeoffs
- I Am Not Who I Used To Be – The Gunshy
- A True Friend is Hard To Find – Catfish Keith
- Fire Won’t Burn Anymore – Towerbrown
- Pulling Time – Andre Williams And The Don Juans
- Rusty Old Scars – Crooked Brothers
- Pain – Catholic Girls
- Darkest Heart – Andrew Jackson Jihad
- Cure For Pain – Morphine
- Run Away From TMe – Movie Star Junkies
- Discarded – Uncle Tupelo
- There Is No Truth In The Night – King Automatic
- Killing my Kind – Izzy Cox
88,4 MHz - Pi Radio