Hideout: Bibliodiscoteque #24
It’s hard to explain Preacher to those who have never read it. The quick synopsis (A Texas preacher cursed with the powers from an angel/devil love child teams up with his ex and an Irish Vampire to find and kick God’s ass) seems a bit off-putting. The surprise is that, despite the level of grotesque violence and numerous other offensive images, it is really a comic series about what it means to be, however faulty, a man, a friend, and what we, as humans, owe back to mankind.
It is a safe bet that most of us spend our lives seeking someone to connect with. We are creatures in need of companionship and we gravitate toward others like us. Time comes, though, when our bonds are tested and we must stand up for our friends and lovers; that is when we are truly tested. For those of us found wanting it is a testament to how we have treated others as well as how we have nurtured our relationships.
What Garth Ennis has created in Preacher is a hyper-violent tale of humanity. It is humorous in the blackest, and most decadent, sense of the word. It is frightening in its imagery and scenes. It is littered with pages that will haunt you well after you’ve closed the book. I hope that I have done it justice in this month’s podcast.
Finally, thanks to Johnny Destructo for this month’s cover image. JD is the host and founder of the comic review site Poptardsgo! He is also an old friend and one of the nicest guys (if not the lewdest) I know. And I know a great many lewd peoples.
JD is open to doing commissions and would, if you have a minute, most likely be really grateful if you gave either one of his two podcasts a listen. The man is a workhorse and I have no idea where he finds the extra hours in the day.
Episode 24 – Preacher
- Time Of The Preacher – Willie Nelson
- Rake at the Gates of Hell - The Pogues
- Feathers of the wings of the angel Gabriel – Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat
- The Further I Get From Texas (The Less I Think Of You) – The Defilers
- An Ear for Baby – The Thermals
- Todays Empires, Tomorrows Ashes - The Magnificent 7′s
- Swamp Water - Mama Rosin together with Hipbone Slim and the Kneetremblers
- Backstabbin’ Savior – Reverend Deadeye
- LA PARADA DE JESUS – TUMBA SWING
- Are You Drinkin’ With Me Jesus - Jello Biafra And Mojo Nixon
- Drunken Angel – The Dark Rags
- Saint O Killers – the goddamn gallows
- Demon Riders - Wild Rooster
- God Help You Dumb Boy - Reverend Glasseye
- El Boogie de la Muerte – Guadalupe Plata
- Mr. Custer Stomp – Les Scouts
- The Good, Bad & Ugly - The C-Types
- Your Miserable Life - Movie Star Junkies
- Watch It Burn – Lucero
- No Death - Mirel Wagner
88,4 MHz - Pi Radio