Hideout: Bibliodiscoteque #25
The Gentlemen’s Hour
Roughly four months ago, I received a lovely little package of books from Duane Swierczynski. It contained some great stuff from authors I never read before and, quite possibly, may not have picked up on my own. In the case of Don Winslow that would have been a massive error.
First: He lived, for a brief time, in RI. This may not matter to anyone else outside the 1, 045 miles of America’s smallest state, but for a place that can only really boast H.P. Lovecraft, Poe (while sober), and Cormac McCarthy, we grapple all personage of interest and hold them in a octopod* death grip.
Second: The book is about surfing. A detective pulp with surfing? Yes. Winslow manages to take the darkness and brutality of the pulps and make it digestible for Southern California lifestyle.
Third: This is the guy who penned the Trevanian prequel! Oliver Stone is turning his novel Savages into a film with John Travolta and Uma Thurman. Winslow is good.
Last: Its a chance to play some surf rock, some 80′s punk, and to generally get ready for summer.
Rage Well, === Episode 25 – Don Winslow’s The Gentleman’s Hour
- Badge Of Honor – Satan’s Pilgrims
- The Sunburst Kid – Bonney & Buzz
- Twist, Twist! – Imperial Surfers
- San Diego Shutdown – Los Straitjackets
- Syncophant – Laika & The Cosmonauts
- Mish Mash – Mach Kung Fu
- Slaughter Beach – Atomic Mosquitos
- Across The Border – Prince Fatty & The Mutant HiFi
- Butthole Surfers Theme Song – Butthole Surfers
- Rise Above – Black Flag
- Plateau – The Meat Puppets
- Fortune Favors The Brave – J.F.A.
- Bad Kid – Drunk Injuns
- History Lesson Part 2 – Minutemen
- Why – T. Lance & The Coctails
- Aqvanatic Business – Messer Chups
- Surfin’ Spooks – The Ghastly Ones
- The Drowning Man Knows His God – The Mermen
- Last Wave Of The Day – Krontjong Devils
- Kalini Wipe Out – The Surf Teens
- Black Sea Surf – The Concrete Rivals
- Go Go – The Zoggs
- Kalifornia – Los Tiki Phantoms
- Bulldog – Pedrito Diablo & Los Cadáveras
- She’s The One – The Fathoms
- Sometimes Good Guys Don’t wear White – The Pretty Things
(*) Octopod is the correct plural. Octo is Greek. Deal with it.
88,4 MHz - Pi Radio